There are only two substances I know of for which there are receptor sites on every cell of your body. Only two. They are thyroid hormone because thyroid hormone is the ‘thermostat’ in every cell of your body that determines how hot that cell runs (that’s called your metabolism, and Vitamin D. Every cell in your body requires Vitamin D. Every cell. That’s why it’s called ‘the sunshine vitamin’, it brings life to every cell in your body. So if you have low Vitamin D levels, what cell may not function correctly? Every cell! Any cell! That’s why Vitamin D is the most important of all nutrients for the body because every cell needs it.
25-Hydroxyvitamin D, known for its role in bone health and calcium absorption, also appears to affect immune function, neurodegenerative and cardiovascular issues, and other conditions. Vitamin D occurs in two forms—D3 is obtained from animal diet sources and through sun exposure, and D2 is obtained through vegetable diet sources. Both forms of the vitamin are used to fortify various foods and in supplements.
THIS IS THE ONLY FINGER PRICK TEST I KNOW OF THAT LOOKS AT ALL 3 MARKERS OF VITAMIN D – THE OTHERS ONLY LOOK AT ONE.
25-Hydroxyvitamin D Total
This test is useful for:
Type 2 Diabetes
Specimen: blood spot
25-Hydroxyvitamin D is the major circulating form of vitamin D. It occurs in two forms: vitamin D2 (ergocalciferol) and vitamin D3 (cholecalciferol), and is the precursor of the active form (1,25-dihydroxyvitamin D). Because of its long half-life, measurement of total 25-Hydroxyvitamin D (D2 plus D3) provides the best assessment of patient vitamin D status and includes vitamin D derived from diet, supplements and exposure to UVB light, such as sunlight. Vitamin D is best known for its role in calcium and bone metabolism, but emerging research indicates that low levels of vitamin D may be associated with increased risk of some cancers, type 2 diabetes, multiple sclerosis, cardiovascular disease, rheumatoid arthritis, depression, Alzheimer’s disease, infections, preeclampsia, cesarean deliveries and neurocognitive dysfunction. Vitamin D regulates the expression of a vast array of genes in tissues including immune cells, the vasculature, muscle and reproductive organs. Vitamin D insufficiency is common and deficiency can have adverse health effects at any stage of life. Many testing methods do not differentiate between the two forms of vitamin D, and only total concentrations are reported. This LC/MS QQQ method is sensitive and specific for both vitamin D2 and D3, and each form is measured and reported independently.
*Please read the following prior to placing your lab test order*
- All sales are final and no refunds will be afforded and you waive any rights to charge-back your purchase with your credit card processor.
- theDr.com does not participate in, take assignment, or accept any private insurance. We do not provide super bills and cannot assist with claim resolution for laboratory tests or consultations.
- Orders for this test are accepted from the United States only. To inquire about international orders, please email: email@example.com. This test is not available in Mexico, Iran, North Korea, Cuba, Russia or Ukraine.
- TheDr.com is unable to ship test kits to the state of New York as per state laws.
- TheDr.com is unable to ship lab kits to P.O. boxes. Please use a residential or business address.
- Some lab providers fill out requisition forms ahead of time with client information. To avoid confusion when processing orders, if you are ordering lab kits for multiple people, please place a separate order for each person.
- After you order a test kit, completing the test is your responsibility.
- Once thedr.com has received your test results, the results will be uploaded to your HIPAA compliant client portal and you will receive an email instructing you how to access them.
- Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org with questions.
- This test does NOT include a test interpretation consultation. If you are interested in having your test results interpreted please contact our former director of Clinical services Michelle Ross, MS, MA, CNS, LDN, IFMCP at email@example.com once you have received your test results.
- *Test interpretations must take place within 3 months of placing the test order.
- Michelle Ross is a Certified Nutrition Specialist, a Licensed Dietitian-Nutritionist and an Institute of Functional Medicine Certified Practitioner. Graduating Summa Cum Laude from the University of Bridgeport, Michelle holds a Master of Science in Human Nutrition and a master’s degree in Education from Pacific Union College. Michelle’s graduate school thesis focused on the complexity of gluten-related disorders and the potentially devastating effects of gluten on the body. She has been extensively trained in the advanced interpretation of functional testing, autoimmune diseases, gluten- and wheat- related disorders, and microbiome health.
Before Placing Your Order Please Read
The Complete Terms and Conditions for Doctor’s Data Test Orders at theDr.com